Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Titan in the 21st Century....

What's it like to be a Titan in the 21st Century?  Hmmmmm....That's a loaded question.

Some might say....."$&^%&&$#!!!!"!  While others say......  "Great, terrific, I'm having the time of my life!"  Then there's the general, "It's okay.  I have good days and I have bad days."  I'm a glass half full kinda gal so I guess I'm between the Great and Good Days, Bad Days mentality.  

Take for instance, I got up this morning a bit stiff because it's raining.  Rainy days are my hardest because I swear I run on solar energy.  To get through them, I convince myself we need the water for the well (I'm not on city water), the plants, lakes and reservoirs.  Okay, my car can use a good washing also.

Once I get through the morning processes of getting dressed, finding my face in the bathroom drawer, feeding the dogs and making sure they potty in their litter boxes and not on the floor, I head for step two.  Find a bright room with lots of light (which is getting harder to do with the stupid energy saving bulbs which weren't designed for older eyes) and a space heater cranked up to the super sonic setting, then I pretend it's 80 outside.  

Once I'm in my summer mode comes step three, where I tackle my paperwork at home before heading off to the big building I spend my days in laboring for someone else.  I think that makes me typical and not out of the ordinary, with the exception that I just went back to work last year at the age of 58 in order to make ends meet.  I was very lucky not only to find a job, (because my husband has been looking for 2 years) but I have a job I love and people who are a pleasure to be around.

So, even though I might have a slow morning, this crusty old body is getting a workout 8 hours a day at my 'away from home' job.  On most days I come home absolutely beat.  That makes me think my dad was right when he used to say, "All the iron in your blood has turned to lead in your ass."  And I was a teen then.  LOL!

I have a second career, which is really my first career.  I own an in home embroidery business.  The economy is trying to kill that particular venture but I'm refusing to give up on it.  It's low overhead and I really need it for the creative outlet it allows.  If not, my brain would explode and probably cause the biggest shot of air pollution the world has ever seen.  So while working at the away from home job, I have ideas of a different direction to go with the embroidery business.

So being a Titan is the 21st Century is...exhausting, exciting, financially challenging and yet at times rewarding.  So chin up Titans, you can make your own 80 degree environment to help charge your internal solar batteries too.  The glass really is half full.  It's just sometimes there are unrecognizable floaties in it.  I figure eventually they'll fall to the bottom and I'll move on again.

Patricia Brown-Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment